|Franklin Templeton Shootout 5K|
presented by Greg Norman Estates
|View Results »|
First Round News & Notes
|First-round results from the $3,000,000 ($750,000 - winners share) Franklin Templeton Shootout...Friday, December 7, 2012...7,288-yard, par 36-36--72, Tiburón Golf Club (Gold Course) at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples, FL...54-hole PGA TOUR-sanctioned event featuring 12 two-man teams with a different format each day...Today's format was modified alternate shot...Friday's weather: Partly cloudy with occasional sun breaks. Highs reaching 81 degrees with winds from the ESE at 5-10 mph.|
- 1. Davis Love III/Brandt Snedeker 62 (-10)
- 2. Sean O'Hair/Kenny Perry 64 (-8)
- T3. Bud Cauley/Rickie Fowler 66 (-6)
- T3. Charles Howell III/Rory Sabbatini 66 (-6)
- T3. Jason Dufner/Vijay Singh 66 (-6)
- T6. Stewart Cink/Carl Pettersson 67 (-5)
- T6. Keegan Bradley/Brendan Steele 67 (-5)
- T6. Dustin Johnson/Ian Poulter 67 (-5)
- 9. Jerry Kelly/Steve Stricker 68 (-4)
- T10. Justin Leonard/Scott Verplank 70 (-2)
- T10. Mark Calcavecchia/Mike Weir 70 (-2)
- 12. Fredrik Jacobson/Greg Norman 72 (E)
NEWS & NOTES
- Brandt Snedeker is making his first start in the Shootout, while his partner Davis Love III is making his sixth start. Love partnered with Tom Kite his first three years in 1991, 1992 and 1993, earning a win in 1992 by one shot over Fred Couples and Raymond Floyd.
- Fred Couples was part of the two lowest rounds at the Shootout in the Modified Alternate Shot format. Davis Love III and Brandt Snedeker's 62 today tied the third best score in tournament history in the Modified Alternate Shot format:
- 57 Fred Couples/Raymond Floyd (1990)
- 61 Fred Couples/David Duval (1991)
- 62 Davis Love III/Brandt Snedeker (2012)
- 62 Curtis Strange/Mark O'Meara (1989)
- 62 Mark Calcavecchia/Ian Baker-Finch (1990)
- 62 Mark Calcavecchia/Ben Crenshaw (1994)
- 62 John Cook/Peter Jacobsen (1997)
- Kenny Perry is making his 10th start in the Shootout, while partner Sean O'Hair is making his second. Kenny Perry won the Shootout in 2005 with John Huston as his partner and again in 2008 with Scott Hoch as his partner.
- This week marks the fifth time Jerry Kelly and Steve Stricker have been paired as a team at the Franklin Templeton Shootout. That is the third longest time period the same two players have played together in tournament history. Arnold Palmer and Peter Jacobsen were a duo seven times from 1989 through 1995. Mark O'Meara and Curtis Strange were a pairing six times.
- Mark Calcavecchia is playing with his 12th different partner in this tournament, teaming up with Mike Weir this year. This is Calcavecchia's 19th appearance in the Shootout, second only to host Greg Norman, who is playing for the 23nd time.
- For the first time in Shootout history, two teams will be defending a title this week, per se. 2011 champions Keegan Bradley and Brendan Steele are back to defend in a normal calendar year. Meanwhile, 2010 champions Ian Poulter and Dustin Johnson are also returning as a team after missing last year due to scheduling conflicts by both players.
- The only two teams to successfully defend their title were Brad Faxon/Scott McCarron (2000, 2001) and Hank Kuehne/Jeff Sluman (2002, 203).
- Seven different countries are represented this week at the Franklin Templeton Shootout--Australia, Canada, England, Fiji, South Africa, Sweden and the United States.
- Five individuals are competing in their first Shootout: Bud Cauley, Carl Pettersson, Vijay Singh, Brandt Snedeker and Fredrik Jacobson. Only nine players have been on a winning team in their first start in the tournament. That list includes Mark O'Meara (1989), Curtis Strange (1989), Fred Couples (1990), Scott McCarron (1997), Hank Kuehne (2003), Rod Pampling (2006), Woody Austin (2007), Keegan Bradley (2011) and Brendan Steele (2011).
- The format for Saturday's second round will be Better-Ball followed by a Scramble format on Sunday.
- The Franklin Templeton Shootout 5K race will get underway at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning. The race will begin and end at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, adjacent to the course.
- Saturday's second round will be televised on NBC Sports from 4-6 p.m.
|About Franklin Templeton Investments|
|Franklin Resources, Inc. [NYSE:BEN] is a global investment management organization operating as Franklin Templeton Investments. Franklin Templeton Investments provides global and domestic investment management to retail, institutional and sovereign wealth clients in over 150 countries. Through specialized teams, the Company has expertise across all asset classes — including equity, fixed income, alternative and custom solutions. The Company’s more than 600 investment professionals are supported by its integrated, worldwide team of risk management professionals and global trading desk network. With offices in 35 countries, the California-based company has more than 65 years of investment experience and over $770 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2015. For more information, please visit franklintempleton.com.|
|About The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples|
|The AAA Five Diamond, Forbes Four Star Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples is renowned for its exceptional personalized service, inventive cuisine and luxurious accommodations, with panoramic views of the adjacent Greg Norman-designed Tiburón Golf Club. The 295-room Mediterranean-style resort, ranked as one of the top hotels in the U.S. by U.S. New & World Report is home to a pair of 18-hole signature Greg Norman golf courses at Tiburón. The course is the host location for both the annual PGA TOUR Franklin Templeton Shootout, held in December and the LPGA’s CME Group Tour Championship Event, held in November.|
|About Tiburόn Golf Club|
|Tiburón Golf Club, offering two Greg Norman-designed golf courses, was carved from 800 acres of prime Southwest Florida real estate. The courses reflect Norman’s appreciation for pristine natural settings and his passion for great golf. The Black and The Gold courses contain a combination of stacked sod-wall bunkers and tricky coquina waste bunkers. Tiburón features a 27,000-square-foot Mediterranean-style clubhouse with fine dining, private member locker rooms and lounge areas, and a fully-equipped golf shop. The member-only Fitness and Health Club offers state-of-the-art cardiovascular and strength training equipment, a spacious aerobics room, massage treatment rooms, men’s and women’s locker rooms, steam rooms and a club room for private functions. Certified as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary by Audubon International, Tiburón reflects a strong commitment to enhancing and protecting the natural resources. Tiburón Golf Club at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples, annually hosts the Franklin Templeton Shootout, the LPGA CME TOUR Championship and is home to the Tiburón Golf Academy and Tiburón Golf Performance Group, featuring top industry professionals in golf instruction, custom club fitting and building, sports psychology and fitness. |
Franklin Templeton Shootout
Click here to return to The Franklin Templeton Shootout News Index.