|Franklin Templeton Shootout 5K|
presented by Greg Norman Estates
|View Results »|
First Round News & Notes
|First-round results from the $3.1 million Franklin Templeton Shootout...Thursday, December 10, 2015...7,271-yard, par 36-36--72, Tiburon Golf Club at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples, FL...54-hole PGA TOUR-sanctioned event featuring 12 two-man teams with a different format each day...Today’s format was a Scramble...Thursday’s weather: Partly cloudy with highs in the low-80s. Variable winds 7-12 mph. Friday’s forecast -- sunny and warm with highs in the low-80s.|
|1.||Harris English/Matt Kuchar||29-29—58||(-14)|
|T2.||Billy Horschel/Hunter Mahan||31-28—59||(-13)|
|T2.||Graeme McDowell/Gary Woodland||30-29—59||(-13)|
|T4.||Daniel Berger/Charley Hoffman||30-30—60||(-12)|
|T4.||Cameron Tringale/Camilo Villegas||29-31—60||(-12)|
|T6.||J.B. Holmes/Patrick Reed||31-30—61||(-11)|
|T6.||ason Duffner/Brandt Snedeker||31-30—61||(-11)|
|8.||Charles Howell III/Rory Sabbatini||34-28—62||(-10)|
|9.||Retief Goosen/Danny Lee||33-30—63||(-9)|
|10.||Zach Johnson/Patrick Rodgers||32-32—64||(-8)|
|T11.||Sean O’Hair/Mike Weir||34-31—65||(-7)|
|T11.||Kenny Perry/Steve Stricker||33-32—65||(-7)|
NEWS & NOTES
- Harris English and Matt Kuchar continued their torrid play at the Franklin Templeton Shootout. The pair posted a score of 14-under-par 58 to grab the first-round lead at the 27th annual event. The pair won this event in 2013 and finished second a year ago at the Tiburon Golf Club at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort. In seven rounds at the course, English and Kuchar are a combined 79-under-par. The teams of Graeme McDowell/Gary Woodland and Billy Horschel/Hunter Mahan are tied for second, one stroke back.
- When Harris English and Matt Kuchar won this event in 2013 they finished with a 54-hole score of 34-under-par 182 and a record-tying seven strokes ahead of Retief Goosen and Freddie Jacobson. A year ago, they finished with a score of 31-under-par 185 and finished one stroke shy of 2014 champions Jason Day and Cameron Tringale.
- English and Kuchar’s round on Thursday included 10 birdies and two eagles and they are a combined 45-under-par in the scramble format in their three years as a team.
- Nine players in this year’s field are ranked among the top 50 in the Official World Golf Rankings: Patrick Reed (10th), Zach Johnson (13th), Matt Kuchar (20th), J.B. Holmes (24th), Billy Horschel (38th), Brandt Snedeker (44th), Danny Lee (47nd) and Charley Hoffman (50th). Daniel Berger is just outside the top 50 at 51st.
- Two players in the field have won the FedExCup title in the past four years. Brandt Snedeker won it in 2012 and Billy Horschel in 2014.
- Five players have won major championship titles during their careers—Jason Dufner (2013 PGA Championship), Retief Goosen (2001 & 2004 U.S. Open), Zach Johnson (2007 Masters, 2015 The Open Championship), Graeme McDowell (2010 U.S. Open) and Mike Weir (2003 Masters).
- As a group, the 24 players in the field have accumulated 113 PGA TOUR victories during their respective careers. Kenny Perry leads in individual titles with 14. Both Steve Stricker and Zach Johnson each have 12.
- Kenny Perry has the most top-five career Shootout finishes among players in the field with nine. Perry shares the all-time record with Greg Norman and Mark O’Meara. Perry’s playing partner this week is Steve Stricker, who has five top-five individual performances. The team with the most top-five finishes in tournament history is O’Meara and Curtis Strange. This twosome accumulated five solid performances between 1989 and 1996 including a victory in the inaugural Shootout.
- Six players in the field were involved in the 2015 Presidents Cup matches. Here from the victorious United States’ team are J.B. Holmes, Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Patrick Reed and assistant captain Steve Stricker. Danny Lee was a member of the International team.
- There are 14 players in the field who have competed in the Presidents Cup for an overall total of 41 appearances in the biennial match play event between the United States and an International team. South Africa’s Retief Goosen has the most appearances with six. Ten players in the field have participated in the Ryder Cup matches between the United States and Europe. Zach Johnson and Graeme McDowell have the most appearances with four each.
- Seven different countries are represented in this year’s field -- Canada, Colombia, South Korea, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, South Africa and United States.
- Kenny Perry will be making his 13th appearance in the event, the most by any of the 24 players in the field. Perry is a three-time winner of the event. He won with John Huston in 2005, with Scott Hoch in 2008 and with Sean O’Hair in 2012. Perry is an eight-time winner on the Champions Tour.
- Five players will be competing in the event for the first time. That group includes Daniel Berger, Danny Lee, Charley Hoffman, Hunter Mahan and Patrick Rodgers.
- Nine of the 12 teams in this year’s Shootout will be together for the first time.
- Eleven players have won the Franklin Templeton Shootout in their first attempt: Mark O’Meara (1989), Curtis Strange (1989), Fred Couples (1990), Scott McCarron (1997), Hank Kuehne (2003), Rod Pampling (2006), Woody Austin (2007), Keegan Bradley (2011), Brendan Steele (2011), Harris English (2013) and Cameron Tringale (2014).
- On Friday immediately following play, the Naples, Marco Island and Everglades Convention & Visitors Bureau Family Golf Clinic will be held at the Tiburón practice facility at approximately 4:00 p.m. The instructional clinic will be hosted by Greg Norman.
- Friday’s second round will be televised live on Golf Channel from 12:30-4:00 p.m.
|About Franklin Templeton Investments|
|Franklin Resources, Inc. [NYSE:BEN] is a global investment management organization operating as Franklin Templeton Investments. Franklin Templeton Investments provides global and domestic investment management to retail, institutional and sovereign wealth clients in over 150 countries. Through specialized teams, the Company has expertise across all asset classes — including equity, fixed income, alternative and custom solutions. The Company’s more than 600 investment professionals are supported by its integrated, worldwide team of risk management professionals and global trading desk network. With offices in 35 countries, the California-based company has more than 65 years of investment experience and over $770 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2015. For more information, please visit franklintempleton.com.|
|About The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples|
|The AAA Five Diamond, Forbes Four Star Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples is renowned for its exceptional personalized service, inventive cuisine and luxurious accommodations, with panoramic views of the adjacent Greg Norman-designed Tiburón Golf Club. The 295-room Mediterranean-style resort, ranked as one of the top hotels in the U.S. by U.S. New & World Report is home to a pair of 18-hole signature Greg Norman golf courses at Tiburón. The course is the host location for both the annual PGA TOUR Franklin Templeton Shootout, held in December and the LPGA’s CME Group Tour Championship Event, held in November.|
|About Tiburόn Golf Club|
|Tiburón Golf Club, offering two Greg Norman-designed golf courses, was carved from 800 acres of prime Southwest Florida real estate. The courses reflect Norman’s appreciation for pristine natural settings and his passion for great golf. The Black and The Gold courses contain a combination of stacked sod-wall bunkers and tricky coquina waste bunkers. Tiburón features a 27,000-square-foot Mediterranean-style clubhouse with fine dining, private member locker rooms and lounge areas, and a fully-equipped golf shop. The member-only Fitness and Health Club offers state-of-the-art cardiovascular and strength training equipment, a spacious aerobics room, massage treatment rooms, men’s and women’s locker rooms, steam rooms and a club room for private functions. Certified as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary by Audubon International, Tiburón reflects a strong commitment to enhancing and protecting the natural resources. Tiburón Golf Club at The Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort, Naples, annually hosts the Franklin Templeton Shootout, the LPGA CME TOUR Championship and is home to the Tiburón Golf Academy and Tiburón Golf Performance Group, featuring top industry professionals in golf instruction, custom club fitting and building, sports psychology and fitness. |
Franklin Templeton Shootout
Click here to return to The Franklin Templeton Shootout News Index.